FCA Venture Partners | Summer Internship 2016
About Clayton Associates:
Clayton Associates was founded in 1996 by R. Clayton McWhorter, former founder of HealthTrust, Inc. and Chairman of Hospital Corporation of America (NYSE:HCA). Clayton Associates’ extensive operating experience and network of relationships creates strategic partnerships with entrepreneurs seeking access to capital and a partner to help in building a successful business.
Clayton Associates invests across the seed, angel, and venture stages. The firm's seed investments are done via Bullpen Ventures in the form of $25-75K investments to help companies get started. Rolling Hills Ventures is an Angel fund investing $500K-$1.5M in companies that are beginning to see traction.
The firm’s venture capital manager, FCA Venture Partners, has managed a total of five funds, including exited funds FCA I and FCA II, as well as three active funds, FCA III, IV, and, FCA V. FCA Venture Partners is also currently fundraising for its sixth fund, and has already made one investment out of it, ABPathfinder. Typical investment sizes range from $2 million to $6 million of equity in companies with experienced management teams who are implementing proven business models with well-defined exit strategies.
Venture Capital Summer Internship
We are seeking an undergraduate (rising Juniors, Seniors, or graduating Seniors) intern for the summer of 2016.
You should have:
- specific experience in the healthcare and/or technology industries
- strong financial and analytical skills
- experience with excel formulas and macros
- passion for startups and venture capital!
You will be responsible for:
- developing and reviewing financial and valuation models
- drafting informational memorandums andmanagement presentations
- managing due diligence efforts, working differently with management teams
- attending exciting investment team, pitch, portfolio company and board meetings
- performing a market analysis of a prospective investment
Our goal is to:
- give you a crash course in venture capital
- mentor you, finding ways you can add value without our organization
- teach you transferrable skills you will use throughout your career
The summer intern will report to the FCA Venture Partners Investment Team and be managed directly by Andrew Bouldin, Principal, and Grant Blevins, Analyst.
The summer internship will consist of three major areas of focus as follows:
Attending Relevant Meetings – Throughout your time at FCA we will do our best to immerse you in all relevant meetings. These will include Monday morning investment team meetings, pitch meetings, portfolio company update calls, board meetings, etc.
Perform a market analysis of a prospective investment – Your overarching project to be worked on during the entirety of the internship is to prepare a market analysis of a new investment or target industry. The deliverable at the end of the internship is a 20-40 page written report that can be distributed to the Investment team and the Advisory board. The report shall include the following: a company analysis, market sizing, market trends, competitive analysis, and an exit summary.
Other projects and experiences – In an effort to quickly teach you what each of our jobs encompass and the skills needed to work in a venture capital firm, you will spend some of your day on each of the following functional areas.
1. Business Plan and Valuation Analysis – Review selected business plans / presentations, which will include businesses in a wide variety of industries, stages, success levels, financing requested, etc.
2. Company Specific Due Diligence – You will participate in the actual due diligence process for a new investment. This will include a review of all relevant business and legal documents prior to our leading the investment. Your deliverable will be to ensure that the approximately 100 business due diligence questions that we send to the company are properly answered.
3. Healthcare IT Market Outlook - Develop a market analysis on the current state of Healthcare IT to determine strength of investment criteria.
Application Deadline: March 25th.
Interview process: We will interview the top candidates with the goal of making our offer by April 15th.
Internship Duration: This is a full summer internship and will run from roughly June 1st to August 1st depending on your school schedule and summer travel plans.
Compensation: This is a paid position. You will receive a summer stipend of approximately $2,400, or $1200 per month.
Please Send an email to Edward yun with a written description of why you are interested in the role and attach your resume.